Travelling with pets
Guide dogs, hearing guide dogs, guide dogs in training and animals with an Assistance Animal Pass can travel for free on
all public transport services.
Dogs on leads are permitted on metropolitan trains, but only if they are muzzled. Small animals can travel on metropolitan trains,
trams and buses, but they must be in a closed container. Small animals, including cats and dogs, are allowed on V/Line trains.
The following conditions apply:
• Small animals must be carried in an approved animal
container that is suitable for cats and small dogs, within the
size specifications (56cm long x 30cm wide x 38cm high) and
a maximum weight of 15kg (including pet).
• Small animals must be able to stand up straight, lie down
without being cramped and turn around within the approved
• Only one approved container is allowed per adult ticket.
• Small animals in approved animal containers can be carried
on loco-hauled services (in the luggage van), VLocity fleet
(inside the passenger cabin, in the designated bike / luggage
storage area) and Sprinters (inside the passenger cabin, in the
designated luggage storage area).
• Owners must clean up any mess created by their animal.
• Owners are advised to travel outside peak times.
• Dangerous dogs are not permitted to travel on V/Line services.
• V/Line conductors will determine whether there is enough
space for small animals.